Standard loan books will be automatically renewed 3 times subsequent to the original loan period, unless they have been requested by another customer or your library membership is due to end (e.g. because you have graduated).
Your books will automatically be renewed the day before they are due.
The following items may not be renewed:
- Short loan items
- Requested items If a book that you have on loan is requested by another customer, we will send you an email asking you to return it. This means you will have up to one week to finish using it, but this may be less depending on when the item was due. (Don’t worry, you can always request the book again if you haven’t quite finished with it). Please see below for more information.
Why have my books not been renewed?
Sometimes it will not be possible to renew a book even though you haven’t received an email to return it. This could be for a number of reasons:
- Items are automatically renewed a maximum of three times. Once you have exceeded that you will need to return the book or bring it back so it can be renewed by Library staff.
- Often the library will hold multiple copies of the same title. When all copies are on loan and a request is made for it, our system stops the renewal option on all copies to ensure that the request is satisfied as quickly as possible. Unless you have received a notice, you can retain your copy and it will be renewed along with everything else on your account as soon as the actual requested copy is returned. This will not affect your account.
- One of the other items which you have on loan has been requested by another reader. Unless you have received a Book in Demand notice then you don't need to worry, you can retain your copy and it will be renewed along with everything else on your account as soon as the actual requested copy is returned. This will not affect your account.
- You owe too much money. Once you pay any outstanding charges you can renew your loans through ‘My Account’
- You have an overdue short loan, inter-library loan or requested book. Please return it to your nearest Library and visit ‘My Account’ to renew your other loans. Please note this type of overdue item will block the renewal of everything else you have on loan until it is returned
- Your Library Membership is about to lapse (eg. you are soon to graduate or are taking a staff post elsewhere). In this case, please return your books by the due date.
- Your books are inter-library loan books, requested from other libraries on your behalf. Please contact a member of the Inter-Library Loans team to ask about an inter-library loan renewal.
The library recalls items when they have been requested so that popular items are made available to as many library members as possible
- You will be emailed if an item you have on loan has been requested by another borrower.
- You will have a maximum of 1 week to return the item. This new due date will be on the email.
- If your requested item becomes overdue you will not be able to borrow or request other material.
- Requested items cannot be renewed.
- When you have a requested book on your record, none of the other books will be automatically renewed when they reach their due date, unless the requested book was returned before this date. Once you have returned your requested book, please contact the Library to ask for your other books to be renewed.
- Standard loan items are subject to recall at any time, including during vacations and placements.