Queen’s University Belfast Parental Information and Consent Form
(For students under the age of 18 on their first day of studies)
Queen's University Belfast is committed to supporting all students throughout their studies. A range of support services providing information, advice and guidance are available. We encourage all students to engage with these services and to ask for assistance where needed.
We hope this information helps to clarify the scope of the University’s role in supporting students under the age of 18 and helps you consider the safety and wellbeing of your child as they make this transition to University life.
As you can see from the Policy, we will write to all students under the age of 18 outlining supports available to them, ensuring they are aware of specific legal points relating to being under the age of 18.
What we can do:
• Ensure students are aware of support available to them at Queen's
• Meet with students if they have any concerns or questions
• Ensure students have a point of contact at University within their School and other support areas (e.g. Accommodation, Wellbeing etc.)
• Ensure students are aware of some specific legal issues whilst under age of 18 in Northern Ireland Act on any concerns identified to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our student
• Help with settling in/transition to University Life.
What we can't do:
• Take parental responsibility for students
• Under Data Protection legislation discuss student’s progress/attendance etc with parents and or guardians (unless we have written consent from students which specifies what we can discuss, and in what circumstances)
• Force students to engage with support services. If we are aware of a concern, we will reach out to them, and make them aware of support available.
• Undertake any of the actions set out in the linked consent form without the permission of a parent or legal guardian – which you should provide by submitting the form.
A Consent Form must be completed by the parent/guardian of all students under the age of 18 on their first day of studies. This can be signed and returned:
- An online Consent form can be accessed here.
- Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: Head of Student Disability & Wellbeing Service, Student Guidance Centre, Queen’s University, Belfast, BT7 1NN.
Please complete and return by Friday 11th September 2020.