Below you will find answers to some of our most Frequently Asked Questions about Science Shop projects.
Can't find the answer that you are looking for?
Send us an email today.
What is the Science Shop?
The Science Shop provides a point of contact between community groups and the University. Community groups submit research ideas to The Science Shop and our staff work to find students who will conduct research as part of their course work.
Is the Science Shop just for science students?
No. We work with undergraduates and postgraduates right across the University who are carrying out research as part of their degree. This includes humanities, social sciences, and law students as well as those studying more traditional science subjects.
- Who develops Science Shop projects?
We work closely with the community and voluntary groups from all over Northern Ireland to help them develop research questions for students to conduct research on. New topics are submitted frequently throughout the year, so there are plenty of projects for you to choose from.
- Students have the option to select a project from a list of available projects, or we can work with students to assist in the development of their own research questions
- Does it take long to complete a Science Shop project?
We work closely with students to ensure an appropriate time scale is negotiated to complete a research project.
Our staff will help you break the research down into manageable chunks ensuring work is completed to a high standard.
We provide students with advice throughout the entire process, we are only an email or a phone call away!
- I am interested in a project... Who do I contact?
If you would like some more information we would be delighted to discuss your options.
They will be able to give you some more information about any projects you are interested in. If you find one you want to discuss further, the Science Shop staff will attend a meeting with you and the community group.
- What’s in it for me?
- Gain valuable experience collaborating with a community group as part of your degree
- Working with a real client is an amazing skill to have on your CV!
- We will help you make it suitable for your dissertation requirements
- We will support you to work with a community group, including making the first contact with the group and going along to the first meeting with you
- We will keep in touch with you during the research and offer extra help and support if you need it