Siteimprove is a digital governance platform. The Web Support Team (WST) and Strategic Marketing and Communications (SMC) have been using the Accessibility Module within this platform to make improvements so that websites published by the CMS can conform to accessibility regulations.
Both teams have completed the necessary work to put in place a facility for website owners and editors to access and use the Siteimprove platform. This will allow CMS Users to access the platform, receive scheduled reports and take remedial action within the CMS to fix identified accessibility issues.
University Staff that currently own or have the responsibility of editing content for CMS based websites can complete the following form to register for access to Siteimprove and receive scheduled Accessibility Dashboard Reports for their websites.
Siteimprove Dashboard Reports for Accessibility
Siteimprove Dashboard Reports can be configured for individual CMS based websites and will provide information relating to accessibility errors.
The Dashboard Report will provide a list of the webpages within your website that contain a specific accessibility error. A Page Report can be used to identify exactly where the error occurs on each webpage, allowing a site editor to take remedial action within the CMS.
Following a review, the first set of reports will be used to address the common accessibility errors listed below:
- Image with no alt attribute - An image does not have an 'alt' attribute.
- Link text used for multiple different destinations - The same link text is used for links going to different destinations.
- iFrame is missing a title - An iFrame is missing a title.
- Heading is missing text - A Heading used on the webpage is empty.
- Accessibility-tested PDFs - PDFs are checked for common accessibility issues.
The Dashboard Reports will be emailed to registered Site Owners / Site Editors on a fortnightly basis. This will allow for sufficient time to review the report, take remedial action within the CMS and for the updates to be reflected within Siteimprove.
Siteimprove Accessibility Checker - Chrome Extension
The Siteimprove Accessibility Checker is a free tool available as a Google Chrome Extension. It can be used to check any webpage for accessibility compliance at any given time. It provides:
- An immediate overview of your page's accessibility issues.
- Exactly where the issue appears on the page.
- A clear explanation of how they affect your users.
The extension can be used for the following:
- To check pages directly in your browser during development e.g. When building content and previewing pages in the CMS.
- To perform single checks of current live webpages. After adding the extension you can check webpages straightaway.
How do I install the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker?
- Open the Chrome browser (or download the Chrome browser if you do not have it).
- Install the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker Chrome extension from the Chrome Webshop or search for Siteimprove Accessibility Checker.
- Click + Add to Chrome.
- Approve the terms and conditions of the extension.
- You can now see the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker icon in your browser window (should be located to the right of the address bar).
How do I use the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker?
- Check any web page by typing its URL in the browser. e.g. https://www.qub.ac.uk.
- Click on the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker icon in your browser window (located to the right of the address bar). The results will appear in a window pane on the left-hand side of the page.
- Website Owners and Website Editors need to set the following filters from the Choose filters dropdown:
- Choose conformance level: AA Conformance
- Choose severity: Error
- Choose responsibility: Editor
- If any accessibility errors are identified, please take the necessary remedial action within the CMS. When the content has been saved and approved within the CMS, and the next publish and transfer has taken place, you can then re-check the page using the steps 1-3.
Choose the following filters in your Siteimprove Accessibility Checker