Comments, compliments, complaints: our policy on customer feedback
Let us know how we're doing: comments, compliments...
We make every effort to provide a high standard of service and to treat all Library users equally and fairly. We continuously try to improve our services and we value any feedback that will help us to do this.
Our Customer Services Group reviews all comments, feedback and complaints, and our feedback procedures on an annual basis. This helps us to develop the services that work best for you, so please let us know what you think. We publish reviews of comments, feedback and complaints received by us at the end of each academic year in the Library’s annual report.
If you are happy with the service you have received from us we would love to hear from you. There are several ways you can do this:
- Speak to a member of Library staff
- Complete our Comment, complaints and compliments form
We also want to know if there is any part of our service with which you are unhappy. We take all feedback seriously and we will take action when appropriate to do so. All complaints will be dealt with in a timely and professional manner. Please note that we may publish the replies given to any queries raised, but will respect the confidentiality of the individuals concerned.
How to make a complaint
The first thing to do if you are unhappy about any aspect of our service is to bring this to the attention of a member of Library staff. They will try to resolve your concerns immediately. If you are unhappy at the way you have been treated by a member of Library staff, please ask to speak to the senior staff member on duty.
If you cannot or do not wish to make a complaint in person, you have the option of submitting a complaint form found in the Do You Have Feedback section of our website.
What you can do to help us deal effectively and quickly with your complaint:
- Contact us as soon as possible giving clear details so we can endeavour to resolve the issue
- Follow our recommended routes of submitting a complaint: either by speaking to a member of Library staff, or by completing our Comment, complaints and compliment form. Twitter and Facebook have limited characters so it is better to submit complaints via the established routes outlined above.
- Specify clearly what aspect of our service about which you wish to make the complaint. Including the following details will help us to effectively and quickly investigate your complaint:
- Your membership type (whether you are a Queen's student or staff member, Associate member or other type of member)
- The specific area, service or resource to which the complaint applies.
- Your name and contact details if you would like a response.
- Outline the nature of your complaint as precisely as possible, this will help us to investigate further and hopefully to resolve the issue. Please include details such as the place and time the incident occurred.
- Please let us know if you have already reported the complaint, and if any action was taken previously
Please note that we endeavour at all times to treat our Library users with respect, and we expect the same standards of behaviour from Library users.
What we promise to do to help resolve your complaint
- Your complaint will be dealt with in a professional and confidential manner.
- Your complaint will be assigned quickly to an appropriate member of Library staff who will investigate the matter fully and communicate regularly with you until the issue has been resolved.
How and when we will respond
We will acknowledge any complaints within one working day of receipt and an initial response will be sent within 3 working days. An outline of our complaints procedure and timelines can be viewed in the Complaints Procedure Flowchart.
If, at this stage, you are not satisfied with how we have dealt with your complaint please contact:
University Librarian and Assistant Director, Information Services
The McClay Library Queen’s University Belfast
Belfast BT7 1LP
Tel: 028 90976323
Complaints will receive an acknowledgement within one working day and an initial response within 3 working days. If you are still unhappy at this stage we will refer you to the University's complaint procedure.
Reviewed December 2022