The following assistive software is available on most PCs in the Library at Queen’s. To access, just click on the red ‘Accessibility’ icon on the desktop.
- JAWS - Most popular screen reader in the visually impaired community. Allows text to speech and full keyboard compatibility. Also allows voice operated access to computer functions.
- ZoomText - reads documents, web pages and email - which the user is able to listen to using headphones or the computer's speakers.
- Mindview - used to generate, visualise, structure, and classify ideas, and as an aid in study, organisation, problem solving, decision making, and writing
- Read & Write Gold - offers assistance with reading and writing. Functions include text-to-speech, phonetic spell checker, word prediction, speaking dictionary and a scanning facility. It is a widely used and useful package for dyslexic students.
- EquatIO - allows creation of mathematical equations, formulas and more directly on your computer. Type, handwrite or dictate any expression and it will be converted to accurate digital maths.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking - voice recognition software that turns speech into text via a headset attached to the computer - only available in Group Study Rooms 1, 2, 1A, 2A & 5. Headsets are available from the Borrower Services Desk.
In addition, the Library also has the following equipment that may be of use to students:
- A Zoom-ex scanner – scans, magnifies and reads aloud text. Available from the McClay Library Borrower Services Desk
- A desktop CCTV text magnifier - located on Floor 2 of the McClay Library by the Enquiry Desk
- Height adjustable desks – available in each floor of the McClay, the Biomedical Library and Medical Library
- High visibility keyboard – available from the McClay Library Borrower Services Desk
- Ergonomic roller ball mouse – available from the McClay Library Borrower Services Desk
- Safety steps with handrails – located by the shelving on each floor of the McClay Library
- Accessible self-issue terminal – located in the Short Loan area on the ground floor