The following assistive software is available on most PCs in the Library at Queen’s. To access, just click on the red ‘Accessibility’ icon on the desktop.
- ZoomText - reads documents, web pages and email - which the user is able to listen to using headphones or the computer's speakers.
- Mindview - used to generate, visualise, structure, and classify ideas, and as an aid in study, organisation, problem solving, decision making, and writing
- Read & Write Gold - offers assistance with reading and writing. Functions include text-to-speech, phonetic spell checker, word prediction, speaking dictionary and a scanning facility. It is a widely used and useful package for dyslexic students.
In addition, the McClay Library also has the following equipment that may be of use to students:
- A Zoom-ex scanner – scans, magnifies and reads aloud text. Available from the Borrower Services Desk
- A desktop CCTV text magnifier - located on Floor 2 of the McClay Library by the Enquiry Desk
- Height adjustable desks – located in the computer area of each floor
- High visibility keyboard – available from the Borrower Services Desk
- Safety steps with handrails – located by the shelving on each floor
- Accessible self-issue terminal – located in the Short Loan area on the ground floor