The below guidelines have been prepared to assist students and staff members in making thesis submissions.
Please note this process applies to Postgraduate Research Students submitting a thesis - if you are a Postgraduate Taught Student submitting a dissertation please contact your School.
Please ensure you read the below carefully and ensure you follow all appropriate steps for submission.
Soft Submission (Pre-Viva)
Pre-viva submissions continue to be electronic.
Student must send final thesis as a PDF accompanied by a signed pre-viva submission form to their supervisor or school PGR office.
- On behalf of the student, Supervisor/School must submit the final thesis and signed submission form (signed by both student and supervisor) to email@example.com via QUB Dropoff (https://dropoff.qub.ac.uk/) to verify that this is the final approved copy for examination. The Dropoff Recipient is firstname.lastname@example.org. Student should also be added as a dropbox Recipient by School.
- Approval of the examiners must already be completed on Qsis as usual, or the submission will be rejected until that time, in line with normal procedure.
- The Thesis team will email the student and sender to confirm receipt.
- Paperwork (letter of instruction, viva report forms etc.) will be emailed to the examiners as Word documents*, with a soft copy of the thesis, by Student Registry.
If you have any further queries please see https://www.qub.ac.uk/home/coronavirus-faqs/ or email email@example.com
1) A Notice of Intention to Submit is submitted via your Qsis account - this should be completed approximately 3 months prior to your intended submission date to allow time for your examiners to be appointed.
2) Check that the wording of your title is exactly the same as stated on your Notice of Intention to Submit and that the title of the thesis is approved by the School Postgraduate Research Committee (you can check this via your supervisor). If your title does not match that on your QSIS record you must inform your School office to have this updated.
3) Examiners are appointed. Your School will notify you when your examiners have been approved and appointed. You may not submit before the Nomination of your examiners is fully completed.
4) The submission form is completed and signed by both you and your supervisor.
5) Submit an electronic copy of your Thesis, following the steps in the section above.
6) Student Registry will email your thesis and the relevant reports to each of your examiners your School will be in touch with you regarding arrangements for your viva examination.
- Final Thesis: Pure Submission
From 1st September 2021, hardbound theses are no longer a requirement of research degree programmes (with the exception of Higher Doctorates and PhD by Published Works)
- Student should submit their e-thesis to Pure (See also How Do I Upload my E-thesis in Pure?)
- Both the Thesis and the Thesis Deposit Form must be uploaded in PDF formats
- Registry must have received the student’s viva paperwork prior to submission i.e. you must have officially received your viva outcome from Registry before uploading your final thesis.
- Student’s record will be Completed on validation of the Pure submission and following the usual record completion checks, and a confirmation letter issued via email.
1) Depending on the outcome of your viva you may have some corrections to make to your final version of the thesis. Ensure you complete these within the timeframe specified and send to your examiner to approve them (you will only need to send these to your internal examiner, unless you are told otherwise. Consult your supervisor if you are unsure).
2) If you need more information on the format of your thesis click over to the ‘Thesis Format’ tab above.
3) Submit your final thesis to Pure.
4) Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your thesis deposit form so that we can verify your Pure upload.
5) The Open Access Team will validate your upload and apply any embargoes etc. that have been requested. Registry will be informed that your submission is complete.
6) Registry will finalise your Qsis record and will send a PDF completion letter to your QUB email address.