Academic Concerns

Academic Concerns

Are you concerned about your studies?

At Queen's we understand that students may encounter academic difficulties at times, this can be with the course, or other things that are not going well that impacts students on their academic studies. Below are some of the main issues, however this list is not exhaustive, but its important to know that support is available from a range of staff in the University, and you should engage with support at the earliest stage.

Support available

Support within your School

Personal Tutor

Each undergraduate is assigned a personal tutor whose role it is to be a point of contact within your School, particularly for personal development planning or academic difficulties.

Personal tutors will work with you to reflect on your Personal Development Plan and, where appropriate signpost you to a University or Students’ Union service for specialised assistance.

It is important that you let your tutor know if you are experiencing any difficulties that might affect your performance and hence your marks in any compulsory component of the course or written examination.

Your tutor can discuss options, such as changing course, withdrawing from a course, the structure and aims of your degree pathway etc. They do not need to know the details of your situation but can signpost you to support services.

You can check who has been assigned to you by accessing your Student Centre in QSIS. Staff lookup can be used to access their contact details.  If you are unsure who is your Personal Tutor and can't find the information on QSIS, your School Office will be able to help you. 

Student Guidance Centre

There are a number of key support services within the Student Guidance Centre. Find out about the services here:

Below is more information on services who can support you with academic issues.

Skills and Support for Learning

The Learning Development Service is available to help you with academic skills. You can have a one-to-one appointment and/or attend a wide range of workshops on topics including essay writing, referencing, time management, presentation skills and preparation for exams. LDS also offers support for maths and statistics.

Further Information
T: 028 9097 3618

Disability & Dyslexia Support

Disability Services provides support to students with a wide range of disabilities including physical disabilities, mental health difficulties, sensory impairments, medical conditions, autism spectrum disorders and dyslexia.

If you have a disability or acquire a disability whilst studying at Queen’s, support can be arranged to meet you individual needs.

Further Information
T: 028 9097 5251

Find out more: links to academic related issues

Below are some academic related issues that you may want to find out more on. Remember, you can also contact Student Wellbeing Service, your School or Advice SU to talk to a member of staff about your specific issues/concerns. 

What should I do if...

Progress Issues

Academic Appeals

Other Procedures

I am unable to attend class and/or an assessment? Exceptional Circumstances Undergraduate Students Student Complaints Procedure
I want to change my course or mode of study? Personal and Sensitive Circumstances Postgraduate Taught Students Procedure for dealing with Academic Offenses
I am thinking of taking a break from my studies? Student Support Meetings Postgraduate Research Students  Conduct Regulations
I am thinking of leaving my course?      Fitness to Practise


Quick Links to other supports

If you have any queries or are simply unsure of who it is that you need to speak to you can call through to the Information desk on 028 9097 2727, or alternatively drop-in to the first floor of the Student Guidance Centre.