Skip to Content

Immigration/Visa/CAS Procedures

Queen's crest on main gate with Lanyon building in the background
International Undergraduate Students
Points Based System (PBS) Student Visa

The Points Based System (PBS) reflects the UK Home Office immigration rules and includes the concept of Sponsorship, in which education providers must be licensed by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Queen’s University is a Student Visa Sponsor and has a UKVI Sponsor Licence. Under PBS students who wish to enter the UK apply under the Student Visa route (formerly Tier 4).

When you apply for a Student visa you must include a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number.  The University will assign your CAS number through the UK Visas and Immigration system. In advance of issuing your CAS, the Admissions and Access Service will send you a form for you to provide details of any previous study in the UK, including copies of previous visa stamps. This form must be returned to before a CAS can be issued.

The CAS number will be included in a letter called a ‘CAS statement’ which will be sent to you by the Admissions and Access Service.  This will have important information that you need for your visa application.

Important note:  A CAS statement (including a CAS number) will only be sent to those applicants who have firmly accepted an unconditional offer of a place.  It is important therefore that you inform the Admissions and Access Service as soon as possible whether you wish to accept or decline your offer. Please see the section below for details of the procedure for issuing your CAS.

Check your CAS statement carefully when you receive it. If you notice any errors with any element of your CAS statement, please inform the Admissions and Access Service as soon as possible. This includes errors with course start and end dates, course titles and level of the course.

Note - the earliest you may apply for a Student visa is 6 months before your course start date, and you must not travel to Belfast until you have been issued with your Student visa.

Please note if you require a UK study visa and there are any changes to your academic status or course plan during your studies, there may be visa implications, and you will be advised to urgently seek immigration advice from Queen’s International Student Support.  This includes any change to a course that has an integral work placement (for example, not securing a placement or securing an overseas placement).

Tuberculosis screening - Nationals of some countries are required to obtain a certificate from an International Organisation for Migration (IOM) accredited clinic showing that they are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB), to submit with their visa application.

Please refer to the following UKVI website to check if nationals of your country are required to obtain a certificate and, where this screening is a requirement, to obtain details of the clinics and fee in your country:

Find more information on Visas and the Points Based System on the International Student Support Office website.

Information on the PBS is also available at UK Visas and Immigration website.

The immigration rules are subject to change and it is your responsibility to check the UK Visas and Immigration website.

If you are a non-UK/Irish national, the University is required to check your original passport and immigration documents to ensure that you have correct immigration permission to study at Queen's before you can enrol. All non-UK/Irish students must present their passport and visa or other immigration permission to the International Student Support Office, who will take a photocopy and check your right to study. This process is normally carried out during International Welcome and Orientation.

Read more Read less
Close up of students studying in McClay Library using laptops
International Undergraduate Students
Extensions of Leave

Extension of Leave – Students who are currently studying at Queen’s

If you are currently studying at Queen’s and need to extend your visa you should contact the International Student Support Office at who will advise on the procedures and the appropriate forms to complete.  

Extension of Leave – Students who are currently studying elsewhere in the UK

If you are studying at another educational institution in the UK and you want to extend your visa to study at Queen’s University, you will need a CAS.  A CAS statement will be sent to those applicants who have firmly accepted an unconditional offer of a place.

Extension of Leave – Migrants already in the UK who wish to study at Queen’s

Depending on the type of visa you currently have, it might be possible for you to study without switching (changing) to a student visa.  If you are not sure about your visa and whether you can study please contact

Read more Read less
three international students discussing notes together
International Undergraduate Students
Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) is a requirement for most non-EU/EEA students (with the exception of nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America) who wish to undertake an Enhanced Undergraduate degree (MEng, MSci) in certain subject areas as designated by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. The Academic Technology Approval Scheme applies to courses in certain Science Engineering or Technology disciplines including Materials Science, Materials Technology, Chemical, Process and Energy Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Physics. For students covered by the scheme, an ATAS clearance certificate will be required before application for a visa or entry clearance can be made i.e. it will be a mandatory part of the immigration process.  

This is a requirement for most immigration categories, even those who do not require a Student visa, but who may have been granted another form of time-limited leave to remain eg. as a dependant, family member, or refugee.  The only exception is for applicants holding Indefinite Leave to Enter/Remain or other form of unlimited leave.

In order to be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), all applicants who are required to obtain ATAS clearance must provide evidence to the Admissions and Access Service that they have already submitted an application for ATAS clearance.  This should be in the form of a screenshot from your application record on the ATAS online application system.

An ATAS clearance certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issue by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. You can apply for an ATAS certificate up to 6 months in advance of the beginning of your programme. For example, if your programme begins on 19 September 2022, you should not apply for your ATAS clearance certificate until after 19 March 2022.

If you require ATAS clearance, you should apply in good time, and provide a screenshot from the ATAS online application system to Admissions at the earliest opportunity.  Please do not wait until your offer becomes unconditional, as this will delay the issue of your CAS.

If you require an ATAS clearance certificate, an attachment will be provided with your offer letter. This will include confirmation of your personal and programme details, the CAH3 code for your area of study (used by the immigration authorities to determine if ATAS clearance is needed or not) and a brief description of your proposed research topic or in the case of taught programmes, a list of the modules you will be studying. It is important that you retain this attachment as it is required when you are completing your application for ATAS clearance and also later when applying for a visa/entry clearance. The University reference number which you will be asked for is your application number provided in the offer letter and on the attachment.

For applicants to areas where ATAS clearance is not required but where we feel there may be some doubt on the part of entry clearance officers, a short attachment will be provided and the CAH3 code for your programme of study will be included on this. This should help to simplify the entry clearance process for you.

Full details about the scheme, including the ATAS application, can be found at

Read more Read less
low angle view of the McClay library from the front
International Undergraduate Students
How do I obtain my CAS?
  • You must have firmly accepted an unconditional offer (UF) before your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) can be issued. This means that we must be in receipt of your final transcripts and certificates confirming the award of your qualifications and, if applicable, English language results. These documents may be scanned and emailed directly to Please make sure you include your UCAS ID number and full name in any correspondence with us. This will help us to administer your application efficiently.
  • You will receive formal confirmation of your unconditional offer through your UCAS Track account. You must then visit in order to confirm that you wish to accept your offer and intend to take up your place.  
  • The University has recently launched the CAS Shield system to collect information from applicants for CAS preparation. Applicants holding both unconditional and conditional offers will be contacted by email and invited to use the CAS Shield system to start the process for the preparation of their CAS.  We recommend that you start this process as soon as possible, once you receive your welcome email from CAS Shield. 
  • You may have already completed and submitted the UK Visa and Immigration form (UKVI). This form will ask you to confirm if you have previously studied in the UK.  Download UKVI CAS Assessment form, complete and email to You should include scanned copies of any previous UK Visa permission stamps.  We can also use this to produce your CAS.
  • All applicants who are required to obtain ATAS clearance must provide evidence to the Admissions and Access Service that they have already submitted an application for ATAS clearance.  This should be in the form of a screenshot from your application record on the ATAS online application system.
  • And finally, please scan and upload a copy of the photographic page of your passport to CAS Shield, or email to

Once in receipt of all the above, we will be able to proceed to issue your CAS.

Read more Read less