The A Bite of Queen's lunchtime campus tours series is a staff initiative that gives you the opportunity to go behind the scenes of some of the University’s great buildings and hear about the amazing work being carried out by our colleagues.
New tour added:
Union Theological College
Designed by Sir Charles Lanyon, ‘Assembly’s College’ was founded in 1853 by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland to provide training for Presbyterian Ministers. From 1926 The College was a founding member of the new Queen's Faculty of Theology.
New tour added:
Wellcome-Wolfson Institute for Experimental Medicine (CEM)
Previously based in facilities at the Royal Victoria Hospital campus, Wellcome-Wolfson Institute for Experimental Medicine (previously known as the Centre for Experimental Medicine) relocated to a brand new, 9000m2 purpose-built institute located on the Health Sciences Campus.
The Lanyon Building
The Lanyon Building, which opened in 1849 and is named after its architect Sir Charles Lanyon, is the centrepiece of the estate.
This tour will introduce you to building's history and to the people who have brought the Lanyon to life over the years.
The Graduate School
The Graduate School (formerly known as the Lynn Building) was designed by William Henry Lynn in 1868 as the University’s library.
Following an extensive programme of renovation and refurbishment, the building reopened in April 2015. It is now home to the new Graduate School, providing a hub for Queen’s thriving postgraduate community.
Elms Village is a purpose-built village-style student accommodation complex aimed primarily at first year undergraduate students.
Located within walking distance of Queen's and Belfast city centre and incorporating the advantages of University facilities and support, Elms Village offers an ideal introduction to student life. Queen's Accommodation provides a total of 2,243 student and staff bed spaces and rivals the best private sector competitors.
The McClay Library
The McClay Library’s construction was the most significant building project at Queen's since the construction of the iconic Lanyon building in 1849.
Designed by Boston-based architects Sheply, Bulfinch, Richardson and Abbott in association with Belfast architects Robinson Patterson Partnership, the £50m McClay Library opened in July 2009. The building blends the best features of a traditional library with the latest technology, creating a truly 21st-century environment for students.
International Research Centre for Experimental Physics (IRCEP)
IRCEP, a purpose built 4700m2 state-of-the-art laboratory space situated alongside the existing Physics Building, opened in June 2005.
The building is home to astrophysicists discovering supernovae and exoplanets; plasma physicists using the most powerful laser in a European University; and nano-scientists creating and understanding new materials.
David Keir Building
Named after the eminent Vice-Chancellor Sir David Lindsay Keir, the David Keir Building opened in 1959.
Once described as "the greatest addition to the University property in its history", it's construction marked the beginning of a great expansion of the University following the Second World War.
Riddel Hall was founded in 1913 as a residence for female students at Queen’s thanks to a donation of £25,000 by Eliza and Isabella Riddel.
It is now home to Queen's University Management School, the William J Clinton Leadership Institute, the Institute of Directors (IOD) and the Northern Ireland Centre for Pharmacy, Learning and Development (NICPLD).
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology (CCRCB)
Established in 2007, Queen’s Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology is a 5,000m2 purpose-built interdisciplinary centre,
Comprised of scientific teams from Biomedical Science, Clinical Medicine, Chemistry, Mathematics, Engineering and Radiobiology, CCRCB works collaboratively with partners around the world to translate research into innovative cancer treatments that enhance and extend life.