Look for relevant summer work:
- Interested in Banking and Finance? A lot of the big companies run summer internship programmes e.g. Bank of England, Barclays, Citi, Deloitte, EY, HSBC, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, PwC, Standard Life, RBSand a few run year-long placements e.g. Deloitte, First Derivatives, KPMG and PwC. Apply early in the autumn term!
- Interested in Teaching? Gain some classroom-based experience in preparation for PGCE applications in final year.
- Interested in Marketing or Event Management? Consider a Brand/Campus Ambassador role with employers such as Teach Firstor Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Large companies in other sectors may offer year-long placements and summer internships. MyFuture, Ratemyplacement, Prospects, Targetjobsand Gradcracker are useful sites for finding these. Many of the deadlines are set around December so it’s best to start applying in autumn.
- If you are involved in a club or society, now is the time to take on some leadership role within it to gain evidence of those extra skills an employer looks for.