- Discover routes to Future-Ready Award (previously DegreePlus), and gain accreditation for extra-curricular activities you are involved in
- Get involved with Development Weeks and explore activities outside of teaching time
- Find out more about work and study abroad opportunities to internationalise your degree
- Consider applying for Project Children - an 8 week paid internship in the USA. Internships are provided in many fields and the application deadline is generally in spring.
- Build your skills by doing voluntary work through Volunteer SU or via Volunteer Now
- Explore what organisations such as BUNAC, CCUSA, Camp America and Projects Abroad offer to ensure you make the most of your summer holidays
- See the British Council's Study and Work outside the UK pages for further opportunities
- Participate in Future-Ready Skills for Leaders to build your business skills and commercial awareness
- Apply for the Future-Ready Skills for Leaders: Boston to develop leadership and project management skills
- Attend careers fairs and employer events. These happen all year round and will be advertised on MyFuture
- Level 1
- Keep an eye out for engineering opportunities open to level 1 students such as the Randox Apex programme
- Are you interested in teaching? Consider the Teach First Taster Programme
- Interested in Banking and Finance? Apply for the Stock Market Challenge and company-specific “Insight” schemes e.g. Bank of England, Deloitte, EY, JP Morgan, KPMG, PwC
- Level 2
Look for relevant summer work and build your skills throughout the academic year:
- Large companies in all sectors interested in engineering students offer year-long placements and summer internships. MyFuture, Ratemyplacement, Prospects, Targetjobs, and GradIreland are useful sites for finding these. Gradcracker is a particularly useful site for finding STEM placements and internships. Many of the deadlines are set around December or earlier so it’s best to start applying in autumn. A lot of the big companies run summer internships as well as year-long placements
- Consider applying for IAESTE to internationalise your work experience
- Interested in Banking and Finance? A lot of the big companies run summer internship programmes e.g. Citi, Deloitte, EY, HSBC, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, PwC, Standard Life, and a few run year-long placements e.g. Deloitte, First Derivatives, KPMG and PwC. Apply early in the autumn term!
- Interested in Teaching? Gain some classroom-based experience in preparation for PGCE applications in final year.
Interested in Teaching? Consider applying for Teach First taster programme and try to gain some classroom experience in preparation for PGCE applications in final year.
- Level 3
- Apply early for graduate schemes and / or postgraduate study. Be aware of very early closing dates for some postgraduate courses such as the PGCE.
- Access help with any aspect of the recruitment process - CVs, application forms, interview skills, psychometric tests and assessment centres by booking a Career Consultation
Post Graduate Taught
- Apply early for graduate schemes
- Access help with any aspect of the recruitment process - CVs, application forms, interview skills, psychometric tests, assessment centres by booking a Career Consultation
- Post Graduate Research
- Discover Careers support for PGR students
- Plus above opportunities for any year.