Look for relevant summer work and build your skills throughout the academic year:
- Interested in Banking and Finance? A lot of the big companies run summer internship programmes e.g. Bank of England, Barclays, Citi, Deloitte, EY, HSBC, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, PwC, Standard Life, RBS and a few run year-long placements e.g. Deloitte, EY, First Derivatives, KPMG and PwC. Apply early in the autumn term!
- Interested in Social Work? Consider an Insight Day or Internship with Frontline or an internship opportunity with Think Ahead and use websites such as Volunteernow to build relevant skills and work experience.
- Interested in Teaching? Gain some classroom-based experience in preparation for PGCE applications in final year.
- Interested in Marketing or Event Management? Consider a Brand/Campus Ambassador role with employers such as Teach First or Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Large companies in other sectors may offer year-long placements and summer internships. MyFuture, Ratemyplacement, Prospects, Targetjobs and Gradireland are useful sites for finding these. Many of the deadlines are set around December so it’s best to start applying in autumn.
- Plus above opportunities for any year