A Bite of Queen's
International Research Centre for Experimental Physics. Opened in 1962.
The Physics Building was designed by John McGeagh in 1955. Constructed in 1958 and opened in 1962 by the Queen Mother, it was built to replace the old physics block located on the south side of the quadrangle. Refurbished in 2004, the building’s most distinctive feature is the cantilevered staircase of its entrance hall.
IRCEP, a purpose built 4700m2 state-of-the-art laboratory space situated alongside the existing Physics Building, opened in June 2005, having been funded under the Support Programme for University Research initiative which recognises the importance of university research as an engine for economic growth.
The building is now home to astrophysicists discovering supernovae and exoplanets; plasma physicists using the most powerful laser in a European University; and nano-scientists creating and understanding new materials.
This tour will give you an insight into the history of the building, the work that now takes place in it, and how that work is helping to drive the Northern Ireland economy and extend our understanding of the Universe.
Queen's University Belfast is committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
For more information please read our Equality and Diversity Policy.
Queen's University Belfast is registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC101788
VAT registration number: GB 254 7995 11