The assessment activities for this course are broken down into steps or milestones that will make the whole.
- Weeks 2-5 information about the team and individual and the initial proposal. Feedback is provided on this.
- Week 6 Exploratory Milestone and again feedback is provided.
- Week 9 Alpha Milestone and again feedback is provided.
- Week 11 the final submission.
What the module coordinator says
The module coordinator is emphatic that students will only do well if their effort is spread over the semester. Students are told that they must start their projects early and that non-engagement by week 6 is will to lead to failure. This is stressed in the module handbook. Over the four years that the module has been run in its current format the module coordinator has found that early engagement (by week 3) has increased to 80%. The module is also challenging for the students because the delivery is based on two assumptions:
1. That the students can work independently
2. That students have adequate programming skill from Level 1
The module coordinator takes account of the challenging nature and explains it to the students in the handout ‘Some slightly unpleasant truths ...’
The students reinforce the module coordinator’s emphasis on starting the project early. Each cohort is provided with advice from the previous cohort(s). Their comments speak for themselves! Equally the students acknowledge the challenges they faced as individuals, but also the gain in confidence in overcoming them.