Skip to Content


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request an Estates service (such as maintenance, cleaning, portering etc.)?

How do I request Minor Works?

How do I get keys cut?

How and when can I access university buildings and facilities?

How do I access university facilities such as showers, lockers, and bike stores?

Can I park my car at Queen’s?

How do I receive Travel Plan incentives and discounts?

How do I access the Asbestos Register?


How do I request an Estates service (such as maintenance, cleaning, portering etc.)?

If you need to request an Estates service (for more details, click here), you should contact your nominated Building Liaison Officer (BLO). BLOs are attached to each building, School, or Directorate and are responsible for logging all requests on Planon. This link also allows BLOs to track the progress of, and amend, requests. Your School/Directorate office holds a list of BLOs for your area.

In an emergency, or in other circumstances where it is not possible to log a service request on Planon, you should contact the Estates Helpdesk by email ( or by telephone (ext. 5152).

For more information on how to log a Services request through our Helpdesk, click here. For a full summary of our Estates Services, click here.


How do I request Minor Works?

Minor Works are defined as projects of a non-routine nature, with a value generally of between £5,000 and £250,000.

Schools/Directorates requiring such works should complete the Minor Works Request Form and submit it to the Senior Estates Manager Jonathan Dennison ( Please note that, if you are using the system for the first time, you will first need to e-mail your staff number to Jonathan Dennison.


How do I get keys cut?

If you require keys cut, please contact your BLO who will raise a request on Planon. Please note, a key cut request form is no longer required to be completed. For all standard requests, BLOs should post the key to 9a Rugby Road in a sealed envelope and we will contact you when the key is cut and ready for collection. Please note that Master keys should not be sent via internal mail. In an emergency please contact the Estates Helpdesk on 5152.


How and when can I access university buildings and facilities?

Campus Accessibility

Queen's University Belfast has partnered with not-for-profit group AccessAble, which promotes accessibility, to develop guides to help our staff, students and visitors get to and around our University buildings and sites more easily. The guides provide detailed access information on our buildings and facilities specifically to help people with an accessibility need.

The purpose of the AccessAble guide is to assist and improve access to the university buildings for prospective and current students, staff and visitors. It should be used to help plan visits and hopefully reduce stress and any anxiety fears as it provides useful information to enable you to determine if the location in the university is accessible. It can be used to investigate issues from parking to hearing loops, walking distances, and the location of accessible toilets.

The accessibility guide can be viewed on the main university AccessAble homepage or through the QUB AccessAble app, which can be downloaded from the Google Play or Apple Store.

Accessing Buildings

Most University buildings will be open during the ‘normal’ working/academic day and you do not need your card or any other device to gain access. If you think you should have controlled access to a building/door outside of normal times, you should contact your School Manager.

The main location where you do need to use your Smart Card for normal access is the McClay Library.

Using your Smart Card instead of a PIN to access buildings

You can either enter your PIN code (followed by #) into the proximity reader or hold your Smart Card within 2cm of the reader.

Emergency Access

Security Control is able to facilitate emergency access to buildings. You should call 028 9097 5098/5098 (external) or ext. 5098/5099 (internal) and please provide a valid staff/student card. Security Control is open twenty-four hours a day.


How do I access university facilities such as showers, lockers, and bike stands?

Bike stands are located across the University, generally in locations convenient to building entrances. The University has opted to install 'Sheffield' type cycle stands as they offer the best form of locking security for cyclists. To find out where your closest cycling stand is, email with your location.

Access to secure cycle parking is by PIN access code only, which is supplied by the Travel Plan Co-ordinator upon receipt of a £10 annual fee. Staff requesting access to secure cycle parking should email their request to

To gain access to shower and locker facilities, please download the relevant form and email it to

For more details on these facilities and where they are located, please visit our Travel page.


Can I park my car at Queen’s?

For a full overview of parking facilities at Queen's, please see our dedicated Car Parking page

Parking space for vehicles within the University and its car parks is limited and unfortunately it is not possible for the University to meet all the parking needs of staff and visitors.

The University issues car parking permits for a number of parking areas around the campus. The demand for car parking exceeds the provision and the permits are issued annually, subject to the payment of a fee.

To find out how to apply for a permit, or how to update your details, please see our User Guide

The Car Parking Conditions of Use can be found here. Any queries should be directed to Nathan Booth via MS Teams or

Visitor Parking

Staff wishing to book in visitors to University car parks must do so online by logging on to the car parking system here.

A User Guide has been developed to assist staff with booking visitors to the University.

Visitor parking bays are located in three University car parks: Main Site, MBC, and Ashby.

Disabled Parking

A number of disabled car parking bays are available for staff, students, and visitors to the University. They can be found at the Main Site, MBC, and Ashby.

For staff or students seeking a disabled car parking permit, the following steps must be followed:

If a staff member is in possession of a blue badge, they will be offered a disabled car parking permit at the University free of charge. Staff must complete the Disabled Parking Application Form, and return the form, with a copy of both sides of their blue badge, to the Estates Directorate. Guidelines for Disabled Parking can be found here.


How do I receive Travel Plan incentives and discounts?

For information on getting an interest-free loan from the University towards purchasing travel cards and discounted tickets for public transport, and for purchasing a new bicycle and cycling equipment under the University's Cycle to Work scheme, please click here.


How do I access the Asbestos Register?

Asbestos can cause concern but if properly managed asbestos containing materials (ACMs) can remain in the University's estate without creating a risk to health. 

Heads of School and Directors should make themselves and nominated staff with access to the asbestos register aware of the presence and location of asbestos in their building.  Asbestos register training is available to all those staff with access to the asbestos register. 

To access the University’s Asbestos Register please CLICK HERE.

For more information on the University's Asbestos Management system, click here.