An employee is eligible if they are:
- The mother/primary adopter; or
- The father of the child; or
- The spouse, civil partner or partner of the child’s mother/primary adopter.
A member of staff is entitled to parental leave if he/she has a child who is under 18 and is:
- Is the parent (named on the birth or adoption certificate) of the child; or
- Has adopted a child who is under 18 years of age; or
- Has acquired legal responsibility for the child.
- They share the main responsibility for the care of their child with their partner;
- Have completed 26 weeks continuous service by the end of the 15th week before childbirth or end of week they were notified of match with a child;
- They will still be employed the week before leave is taken;
- They or their partner is entitled to Statutory Maternity Leave/Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance or to Statutory Adoption Leave/Statutory Adoption Pay and have curtailed this entitlement.
- Employees partner must also satisfy the work and earnings requirement – see policy for details
Shared Parental Leave can begin once the employee, or their partner has taken compulsory maternity/adoptive leave (at least 2 weeks) and they have curtailed their entitlement to Maternity or Adoption Leave by providing at least 8 weeks notice to their employer.