Graduate Job Destinations and Support for Alumni of Geography, Archaeology & Palaeoecology
EXAMPLES OF GRADUATE JOB DESTINATIONS OF GEOGRAPHY, ARCHAEOLOGY & PALAEOECOLOGY PAST STUDENTS
Examples of Employer Who Have Recently Employed Graduates from These Disciplines:
Northern Archaeoligical Consultancy, Pre-Construct Archaelogy, Enterprise-Rent-A-Car, EY, PWC, BDO, Local Estate Agents, Environmental Agencies, Terraquest Solutions, Unversities/HE Sector.
Tax Trainee, Archaeological Site Assistant, Archaeologist, Management Trainee/Manager, Consulting Associate; Self-Employed, Estate Agent, Scientific Officer, Data Analyst, GIS Technician/Officer, Researcher, Research Associate.
CAREERS SUPPORT FOR ALUMNI
As a graduates of Geography and Archaeology/Palaeoecology at Queen's University Belfast you may access the full range of CES services, including one-to-one Guidance Appointments and CV checks, for up to two your following graduation.
Your MyFuture account will remain live in order to allow you to view jobs and book into opportunities and appointments.
You may also find it useful to make use of the wider Queen's alumni community by connecting to the University's Development and Alumni Relations Office (DARO) and their world-wide graduate networks.
- Job, Placement & Work Experience Search Tools for Geography, Archaeology and Palaeoecology Students and Graduates
UNDERSTANDING GRADUATE SCHEMES
There isn’t a strict definition, but graduate schemes tend to be defined by the following criteria:
- Operated by large organisations e.g. Civil Service, HSBC, BP.
- Fixed term – usually 18 months – 2 years. Most people are offered permanent jobs with the organisation at the end of the fixed term. These are jobs with some additional study/support elements. Many operate a rotational system so that graduates spend some time working in different departments.
- Well paid – they usually have better pay and benefits than other graduate options.
- Competitive – when you hear in the media c.80 people applying for every graduate job, it’s generally graduate schemes they are talking about. Some organisations set entry requirements of 2.1 or above and some set UCAS requirements. There is also usually a long recruitment process.
- Timeline – most (but not all) are open for applications in autumn and many (but not all) close by December.
- Graduate schemes are not the only route to a graduate job! Most graduates find graduate level work outside of graduate schemes.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND GRADUATE JOB SEARCH SITE: GEOGRAPHY, ARCHAEOLOGY & PALAEOECOLOGY STUDENTS & GRADUATES GENERAL/ANY DISCIPLINE OPPORTUNITIES GEOG/ARCH/PAL SPECIFIC OPPORTUNITIES RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES
- Terraquest UK (also has a Belfast Office)
- Fintru (local company)