Understanding Graduate Schemes
There isn’t a strict definition, but graduate schemes tend to be defined by the following criteria:
Operated by large organisations e.g. Civil Service or NHS.
Fixed term – usually 18 months – 2 years. Most people are offered permanent jobs with the organisation at the end of the fixed term. These are jobs with some additional study/support elements. Many operate a rotational system so that graduates spend some time working in different departments.
Well paid – they usually have better pay and benefits than other graduate options.
Competitive – when you hear in the media c.80 people applying for every graduate job, it’s generally graduate schemes they are talking about. Some organisations set entry requirements of 2.1 or above and some set UCAS requirements. There is also usually a long recruitment process.
Timeline – most (but not all) are open for applications in autumn and many (but not all) close by December.
You’re unlikely to find many graduate schemes specifically mentioning a specific degree in their role titles but many are open to graduates of any degree discipline.
Graduate schemes are not the only route to a graduate job! Most graduates find graduate level work outside of graduate schemes.
General graduate opportunities
- Business, Consulting and Management
- The NI Civil Service
- The UK Civil Service and the Civil Service Fast Stream
- DFID Department for International Development
- HMRC have a graduate programme
- HSC NI Graduate Scheme and NHS Graduate Management Scheme
- National Graduate Development Programme (ngdp) Graduate training scheme for management within local government
- Personnel Today
- Top Consultant
- Association for Project Management Jobs
- Project Management Institute Job Board
- Project Manager Jobs
- Civil Service and Public Sector Roles
- Criminal Justice, Law and Police
- Victim Support Northern Ireland
- The Northern Ireland Prison Service
- The Youth Justice Agency
- Cafcas (Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (England and Wales)) have introduced a graduate scheme
- Probation Bulletin - jobs board for probation work (England and Wales)
- HM Prison Service
- Information, Research and Analysis
- Centre for Effective Services (NI organisation connecting research, policy and practice to improve outcomes for communities, children and young people across the island of Ireland). They run a Graduate Intern Programme.
- Jobs.ac.uk- jobs in higher and further education
- Office for National Statistics
- NatCen- National Centre for Social Research
- Government Social Research service- apply through Civil Service Jobs (NI, GB) and the Civil Service Fast Stream, provides evidence to understand, develop, implement, monitor and evaluate government policies and services. They employ social researchers in all the main government departments as well as the devolved administrations and other government bodies. See their website for useful detail about careers and the application process
- Social Research Association-'Careers in research' section and job alert facility
- Government Social Research Service (GSR)- LARIA- Local Authorities Research & Intelligence Association- some vacancies
Hospitality and Events Management
- Association of Event Organisers (AEO)
- Campaign Jobs
- Albany Appointments
- ESP Recruitment
- Live Recruitment
- Berkeley Scott - hospitality recruitment consultants.
- Jobs in Hotels
- The Caterer
- Hospitality Guild
- Jobs.ac.uk for jobs in universities.
- The Caterer - magazine available in printed or electronic format on a subscription basis, contains jobs and covers the latest issues, trends and developments affecting the hospitality industry.
- Websites of major hotel groups.
- National and local press.
- Association of Event Organisers (AEO)
- Directory of Design Consultants
- Marketing and Creative Handbook
- Human Resources
Many student and graduate jobs will be advertised on the main graduate websites. See also:
- 4 Talent - also follow them on twitter@4Talent.
- BBC Academy - The BBC also offers a wide variety of four-week work experience placements in all areas of the business, detailed at BBC Work Experience and individual job vacancies across the organisation at BBC Careers.
- Betty - TV Production Company specialising in factual programmes. CVs are submitted to betty’s talent team via The Talent Manager – or alternatively freelancers can email
- British Interactive Media Association (BIMA)
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC)
- Channel 4 Careers
- Creative Access - an organisation aiming to provide young BMAE people with paid training opportunities in creative companies.
- Creative SkillSet - The skills body for the creative industries. They have a Trainee Finder scheme to match individuals to placement opportunities; run meetup events (Open Doors) and host a professional online network for creatives (Hive)
- DV Talent - a media services company behind the broadcast industry's central recruitment database (The Talent Manager)
- Freemantle Media - TV Production Company. You can create an online profile which enables them to contact you if they have a position that may suit your skills and experience.
- Guardian Jobs
- Hold the Front Page
- ITV Jobs
- The Knowledge
- Mama Youth Project - organisation to support young people in finding opportunities in media
- Media Week
- Latimer - Content producers
- Pinewood television
- Press Gazette
- Princess Productions - CVs can be uploaded to Princess Productions via the database (Shine Talent)
- The Radio Academy
- RDF Television - send your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Roundhouse - A life performance space with a variety of creative opportunities for young people
- Sky Academy
- Viacom International Media Networks -
- Warner Brothers Television Production UK
- Some Short Courses
- How to Get into TV and Essential Skills for TV Researchers– both taught by established industry professionals
- Professional Psychology, Mental Health and Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner roles
- HSC recruit
- NHS Jobs – England and Wales
- Psychologist appointments - (BPS) - the main source of Psychologist and Assistant Psychologist jobs. You must be a BPS member to view these vacancies.
- Psychminded.co.uk – jobs in psychology, mental health and therapy
- www.visitbritain.com - offers travel advice, tourism statistics and job opportunities
- www.visitscotland.com - as above but for Scotland
- www.failteIreland.ie - National Tourist Development Authority
- www.flightcentrecareers.co.uk - offer travel consultant opportunities suitable for graduates
- Prospects Travel and Tourism