What Can You Do To Go Further
There are lots of employability-enhancing activities available through QUB. Here are a few suggestions that may be of particular interest to students on your degree programmes.
- Any year:
- Discover routes to degree plus
- Find out more about international exchange, study and work abroad
- Consider applying for Project Children– 8 week paid internship in the US. Internships are provided in many fields. Application deadline is in spring
- Find voluntary work through Volunteer SU and at Volunteer Now
- Organisations such as BUNAC, CCUSA, Camp America and Projects Abroad advertise a variety of paid and voluntary vacation-time opportunities throughout the world
- See the British Council work and volunteer links
- Participate in Insight into Management- a 3 day business skills programme run over Easter
- Attend Careers fairs and employer events, these happen all year round and will be advertised on MyFuture
- Level 1:
- Sign up for the Get Employment Ready Award beginning in semester 2
- Interested in the Teach First programme? Consider their Taster Programme
- Interested in Banking and Finance? Apply for Stock Market Challenge and company-specific “Insight” schemes e.g. Bank of England, Barclays, Citi, Deloitte, EY, JP Morgan, KPMG, PwC, RBS
- Plus above opportunities for any year
- Level 2:
Look for relevant summer work and build your skills throughout the academic year:
- Interested in Banking and Finance? A lot of the big companies run summer internship programmes e.g. Bank of England, Barclays, Citi, Deloitte, EY, HSBC, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, PwC, Standard Life, RBS and a few run year-long placements e.g. Deloitte, EY, First Derivatives, KPMG and PwC. Apply early in the autumn term!
- Interested in Teaching? Gain some classroom-based experience in preparation for PGCE applications in final year.
- Interested in Marketing or Event Management? Consider a Brand/Campus Ambassador role with employers such as Teach First or Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Large companies in other sectors may offer year-long placements and summer internships. MyFuture, Ratemyplacement, Prospects, Targetjobs and Gradireland are useful sites for finding these. Many of the deadlines are set around December so it’s best to start applying in autumn.
- Level 3:
- Apply early for graduate schemes and / or postgraduate study. Be aware of very early closing dates for some postgraduate courses such as the PGCE at Queen’s and UU.