Happy New Year to all students in the School of Natural and Built Environment! I am Mary McLaughlin, and I will be serving as your Careers Consult. I am excited to work with all of you over the semester. The newsletter includes many upcoming events that should be of use for you as you plan for your professionsal development over the semester and into the summer.
If you need any inspiration for your new year’s resolutions, this is the newsletter for you.
Global and Leadership Opportunities
Learn about all of Careers, Employability and Skills Semester 2 Programmes here
More information below about some select programmes
- Come along to the Go Global Mini Fair and find out about ways you can add an international dimension to your university experience.
Wednesday 15th Jan 12pm – 2pm, Student Guidance Centre.
Information sessions in the Student Guidance Centre about other Global Opportunities in January
- Stockmarket Challenge - is an exciting stock market simulation and competitive game which will give you the opportunity to experience analysing the market and making investments. Prizes are available to the winners, including Insight Day opportunities with participating local employers. Wednesday 29 January 2020 at 5pm-7pm. Book your place on MyFuture
Insight into Management is an excellent opportunity for students of any discipline or level to work as part of a team to complete a range of business games and challenges. Applications open in MyFuture 22 January
- Leadership in Practice is a personal development programme delivered by Queen’s University Officer Training Corps (QUOTC). Applications open in MyFuture 13 Jan.
- Free Student Membership of the Institute of Directors worth £75. Applications should be made through MyFuture with membership awarded on a first come first served basis to the first 100 applicants.
International Students Employability Programme runs again in Semester 2 with the first session on 27th Jan, 10am – 12pm in the Student Guidance Centre.
A series of 3 interactive sessions for International Students. Attendance and participation at the three workshops will give Degree Plus Route B accreditation.
Workshop 1, 27th Jan, 10am-12pm
Workshop 2, 3rd Feb, 10am-12pm
Workshop 3, 10th Feb, 10am-12pm
Work Experience & Placement Fair, Wednesday 22 January 2020, 11am – 3pm, Whitla and South Dining Halls
Don’t miss out on opportunities for: internships, voluntary work, vacation jobs, work & study abroad opportunities, year-long & short-term placements.
Environmental Conservation Careers Fair
28 Jan, 12 - 2pm, School of Biological Sciences
Develop your skills by coming along to our lunch time Skill Up Sessions in January.
Student Guidance Centre, 12pm – 2pm.
Develop Your Brand, Monday 13th January.
Knowing your Strengths, Tuesday 21st January.
Future Skills, Thursday 23rd January.
Don’t miss out on our Employer Panels.
Student Guidance Centre, 4pm – 6pm.
Business and Management, 15th January
Public Sector, Not for Profit and more..., 22nd January
Learn about opportunities to get experience through short-term internships and work experience or a longer work placement.
- Royal Geographical Society Work Experience for Undergraduate Students
- Government Communications Service Internship, Government Communication Service
- 1 Year Industrial Placement Civl / Strcutural Engineering, McAdam Design
- Generation UK: two-month fully-funded internships in China, British Council
- Placement Quantity Surveyor, McAleer & Rushe
Some other useful sites for the job search:
PlanningJobs, Terraquest (GIS and other Planning jobs), RICS Careers, RTPI Careers, RIBA jobs (Architecture),
The Royal Geographic Society, RenewableUK, Aerotech- design and manufacture motion control and positioning systems, BT Careers, MBDA Careers, as well as MyFuture.
Find more links on the Careers, Employability and Skills website
- There is tailored information for you on the Careers website: You can search for jobs, book into Careers/Employer Events and also one-to-one guidance appointments with a Careers Consultant
- We also have useful advice on the website about CVs, interviews and psychometric tests
- You can book an appointment to speak to a Careers Consultant via MyFuture-> Appointments -> Book an appointment
- You can gain Degree Plus accreditation for engaging in extra-curricular activities. Find more information on the Degree Plus website or come along to one of the information sessions – see MyFuture for details