Dear [first name]
Can you believe October is almost upon us already? Spooky costumes and pumpkin-spiced lattes aside, October is a critical month when it comes to planning for future career success: many graduate schemes and placements open, and the diary is packed with flagship events, such as the Graduate Placement and Recruitment Fair and Go Global.
In fact, it’s so important to act now if you want to give yourself the best possible chance to propel your career forward that we’ve renamed this month ACTober.
Remember have a look at five things to do in October for your future career,
Wishing you a successful semester and year ahead!
1 to 1 Guidance
While we are in a very different position than last year, the Careers consultants are still providing bespoke one to on guidance. This guidance is for the near future being carried out via Microsoft teams. Moreover, while it is not perfect and the preference is to sit with you and talk in the student guidance centre this form of interaction is a safe and useful alternative. I am still available to provide 1 to 1 careers guidance on Monday Afternoon, Tuesday morning and mid mornings on a Friday. Also let us not forget our recent graduates, so if you have family member, friend or work colleague who has attended QUB then let us remind them that they can still avail of our guidance opportunities for up to two years after graduation.
Access 24/7 CV feedback in seconds with VMock. You get 10 free CV uploads per academic year, so you can finesse your CV for a part-time job, placement or graduate role
PUBLIC SECTOR AND NOT-FOR-PROFIT EMPLOYER PANEL
Find a rewarding career
11 November 2020 2pm
Are you seeking a career in the public, charity and NGO sectors?
Then this employer panel is for you! Join our industry professionals and learn about the skills and work experience needed to move into the sector and discuss the path to success. It is also the perfect opportunity for you to learn any current or future internships, placements, volunteering and graduate roles on offer.
Students from any discipline can find rewarding careers in the public sector.
This online session will help you understand:
- The different roles available with your degree.
- The public sector market.
- How organisations recruit graduates.
PRIVATE SECTOR EMPLOYER PANELS
Anyone can conquer the commercial world
30 September 2020 1-2pm
30 September panel - Employers confirmed for this online event – PwC, Deloitte, First Derivatives and Citi
06 October 2020 12-1pm
06 October panel - Employers confirmed for this online event – KPMG, EY, FinTrU, Allstate
Students from all disciplines have skills they can bring to the commercial world. Connect with employers and discover the roles and opportunities available to graduates from all disciplines – as well as hearing about the transferable skills that are important to them.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS EMPLOYABILITY PROGRAMME
Stand out to employers
3, 10, 17 November 2020 10am-12pm
Are you an international student interested in starting a career in the UK? Through these online workshops, you can learn more about:
- Building a Global Mindset
- Job Search and Graduate Recruitment in the UK
- Creating a CV for the UK market
- Interview Techniques
There are three online workshops in this series on 3rd, 10th and 17th November for International Students.
Attendance and participation at all three workshops will give Degree Plus Route B accreditation.
GRADIRELAND GRADUATE CAREERS FAIR
Job hunt in final year
30 September and 01 October 2020
Meet employers, postgrad providers, careers advisers and learn more about the opportunities available to you after graduation. Don’t wait to talk to employers – connect now.
Hear from organisations offering International Opportunities at the Virtual International Fair and register for the below webinars to hear from previous participants about their experiences and how to apply.
Monday 12th October Focus on Canada and the USA webinar (12-1pm)
International Opportunities for international students
Tuesday 13 October Focus on Asia Webinar (3-4)
Wednesday Go Global virtual International Fair (12-2)
Thursday 15th October Focus on Europe (12-1pm)
Alumni Networking Evening (5-6pm)
The graduate schemes mentioned above and the opportunities presented at the graduate fair just give a small snapshot of the opportunities open to you.
If you are still deciding on your options, read our tips for identifying and exploring career options - there is plenty of information there and tips to help you get started.
- There is tailored information for you on the Careers website: - Information for Psychology students.
- We also have useful advice on the website about CVs, interviews and psychometric tests.
- Let’s remember if you would like some additional support, you can book an appointment to speak to a Careers Consultant via MyFuture-> Appointments -> Book an appointment- This gives you a fantastic opportunity to investigate alternative options in relation to the traditional psychology routes.
- This is a good time to research and start applying for postgraduate options.
- JET is a prestigious programme through which graduates can teach English in Japan for a year. It’s a long application process, so they start recruiting now for next year.
- Interested in Postgraduate Study in the US then lets look at the Fulbright Scholar Awards programme .
- Find out more about PG study in the US.