Important information for applicants
Undergraduate entry requirements
The following qualifications will be considered for direct entry to our undergraduate programmes. The grades required will vary according to your chosen programme. Please check our Course Finder for detailed entry requirements.
- Three Hong Kong A-Levels (HKALE) or 2 A-Levels plus 2 AS-Levels are required and the same grade profiles are required. However, the grade(s) required for some of our courses (excluding Medicine and Dentistry) may be one grade lower where the HKALE is taken in Maths or a Science subject (Biology, Chemistry or Physics).
- Higher level diplomas and Associate degrees can be considered for entry into year one. A typical requirement would be an average grade of B (70-79%) or a GPA of 3.0 in a relevant subject.
- We will also consider Higher Level Diplomas and Associate degrees for year 2 entry on a case-by-case basis.
- 3 UK A Levels.
- Between 30 and 36 points in the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB). Information on required grades.
- The Hong Kong Diploma in Secondary Education is accepted for admission to undergraduate degree programmes:
A Level Requirement
55 in two electives and 5,4 or above in two core subjects (normally English and Mathematics)
55 in two electives and 4,4 in two core subjects (normally English and Mathematics)
54in two electives and 5,4 in two core subjects (normally English and Mathematics)
444 (see note 3)
54 in two electives and 4,4 in two core subjects (normally English and Mathematics).
44 in two electives and 4,4 in two core subjects (normally English and Mathematics)
444 (for consideration for entry to Nursing and Midwifery)
4,4 in two electives and 4,3 in two core subjects (normally English and Mathematics)
1. Where a degree programme has subject specific requirements, such subjects must be offered among the HKDSE electives taken.
2. Performance in additional core subjects will be taken into consideration in borderline cases.
3. Where Mathematics is a course requirement both the Compulsory and Extended parts will be required, and may be offered in lieu of one of three elective subjects. If Grade A at A-level Mathematics is a course requirement, then Grade 5* in the HKDSE Compulsory part and Grade 5 in the Extended part would be required. If Grade B at A-level is specified, then a minimum of Grade 5 in the Compulsory part and Grade 4 in the Extended part would be required. Where the Mathematics results are higher, some flexibility may be exercised in terms of the grades required in the elective subjects.
- Postgraduate entry requirements
Entry to graduate diploma or taught Masters programmes usually requires either a UK upper second-class (2:1) or a lower second-class (2:2) undergraduate degree. For most courses, your major subject or content of your Bachelor degree may also be considered. Please check our Course Finder for detailed entry requirements.
The comparable qualifications from Hong Kong are as follows:
UK Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1)
Bachelor Honours degree with GPA 3.0/4 from a recognised university.
UK Lower Second-Class Honours (2:2)
Bachelor Honours degree with GPA 2.5/4 from a recognised university.
When submitting your application, please ensure that you upload copies of official transcripts for completed programmes as well as those currently in progress. Degree award certificates for programmes already complete should also be provided.
Sometimes, it may be possible to exercise flexibility in the case of applicants who have completed their degree with slightly lower grades than those outlined in their offer letter. In these cases, the decision will be at the discretion of the Academic Selector.
On completion of your degree, please forward a copy of your official transcript and award certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm the award of your qualification and the overall grade. Unfortunately, we cannot advise you further until we receive this documentation.
INTO Queen's Preparation Courses
If you are interested in Computing, Finance and Management courses, but do not meet the entry requirements, you may wish to consider a a pre-masters Graduate Diploma offered by INTO Queen's.
Students interested in undertaking a PhD at Queen’s University need good grades in their Bachelor and Masters degree programmes awarded by a recognised university, in addition to a strong research proposal.
- English language requirements
Applicants will normally need to demonstrate a level of English equivalent to 6.5 IELTS or 90 TOEFL IBT (Internet based test). However, some degree programmes have higher or lower requirements (please check individual programme requirements in the relevant undergraduate or postgraduate University Coursefinder. View the full list of acceptable English Language qualifications.
INTO Queen's - Pre-University English Language Programmes
INTO Queen's University Belfast offers a wide range of English Language courses, which may assist students to meet the required standard of English language to be eligible for entry to degree programmes at the University. If you wish to apply for an INTO Queen's English course please contact email@example.com or consult the list of INTO Queen's English Language courses.
- Representatives and overseas visits
Please register your details at https://www.qub.ac.uk/International/International-students/contact/ so we can keep you updated about the University and the course you are interested in.
Queen's has a network of agents and representatives committed to providing you with high levels of support. More information on our network and a list of agents by country can be found here.
The British Council in your country can also offer advice on studying in the UK.
How to apply
For details on the application process for both undergraduates and postgraduates, please visit the University's How to Apply section.
- Further information
INTO Queen’s University Belfast is a partnership with Queen's University which offers academic courses and English language programmes designed specifically for international students. The courses help prepare students for entry to university in the UK and acclimatise students to living and studying in a university environment.
INTO Queen's academic programmes include:
- International Foundation programme
- Graduate Diploma programme
- International Diploma programme
INTO Queen's English Language courses include:
- English for Undergraduate Study
- English for Postgraduate Study
- Study Abroad with English
- Pre-Sessional English
- Summer School English
- Insessional English