Look for relevant summer work and build your skills throughout the academic year:
- Large companies in all sectors interested in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering students offer year-long placements and summer internships. MyFuture, Ratemyplacement, Prospects, Targetjobs, and GradIreland are useful sites for finding these. Gradcracker is a particularly useful site for finding STEM placements and internships. Many of the deadlines are set around December or earlier so it’s best to start applying in autumn
- Consider applying for IAESTE to internationalise your work experience
- Interested in Banking and Finance? A lot of the big companies run summer internship programmes e.g. Bank of England, Barclays, Citi, Deloitte, EY, HSBC, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, PwC, Standard Life, RBS and a few run year-long placements e.g. Deloitte, EY, First Derivatives, KPMG and PwC. Apply early in the autumn term!
- Interested in Teaching? Gain some classroom-based experience in preparation for PGCE applications in final year.
- Interested in Teach First? Consider applying for their two week Insight Programme or you can still apply for their Taster Programme if you are on a 4 year pathway