Skip to main content

Other Departments

Find out information about the Careers Service, Study Abroad, Library Support, Accommodation, Student Wellbeing, Counselling, Parking, Learning Development Service, and more.


Peer Support

We recognise that it can be hard to start university in a new, busy campus which can feel daunting until you settle in. So that you can meet other students, we have several social groups that meet regularly.

Safety and Evacuation

The health and safety of our students is our primary focus at all times. Find out more information regarding assistance and evacuation plans.

Personal Care

In some cases, personal care support funding is available to disabled people to assist them with daily living tasks and specialist equipment.

Assistive Technology

Assistive technology can support a range of learning styles, abilities and difficulties, and enabled students to meet study requirements.

Support Register

Queen's Register of Support Providers manages the recruitment and training of one-to-one Support Providers to assist with specific academic challenges eg. Note Takers, Tutors, Campus Assistants etc.


Support Services

Counselling Support

Queen's students have access to a number of counselling sessions.

For information about counselling available at Queen’s please visit Inspire Counselling Service


Car Parking

The University is committed to supporting disabled students by providing appropriate support and access arrangements. Car parking on campus is limited and permits are managed through the Estates Department. Car parking management queries can be addressed to the Estates Department, Level 5 Administration Building or by email:

Car parking permits are generally issued as follows:

  • Applicants in possession of a ‘Blue Badge’ are entitled to a parking permit.
  • If you are not in possession of a Blue Badge, information on how to apply to the Blue Badge scheme can be found at
  • If you choose to apply to the Blue Badge scheme, you may be eligible to apply to the Estates Department for a temporary car parking permit whilst you await decision on your Blue Badge application. Please contact Disability Services for more information.

Personal Care

Personal Care Support Funding

In some cases, personal care support funding is provided to disabled people to assist them with daily living tasks such as 

  • Getting out of bed and getting dressed 
  • Maintaining personal hygiene 
  • Going to the toilet 
  • Cleaning the house
  • Shopping and cooking

Funding can also cover the cost of specialist equipment (such as mobility aids, hoist) that the individual would need regardless of whetherthey are at University. 

Please click below for further information based on where you are domiciled:

Who is responsible for providing Personal Care Support and funding? 

UK students: 
Funding for any personal care you will require when attending university should come from the Social Services department of the local authority where you are a resident. If you have a Care Plan in place, this will continue as a statutory plan. Your Care Plan will need to be reassessed by Social Services when there is a change in circumstances such as starting university or leaving home to attend a course. If you move away from your home area to attend a course, the funding responsibilities continue to rest with the Social Services Department in your home area. 
If you are considering personal care support for the first time, you need to contact your local Adult Social Care Department. You can ask for an assessment of all your care needs, carried out by a trained assessor or social worker. 
We would encourage you to contact your Social Services department as far in advance of starting your course as possible because the process of applying for and finalising personal care support can take a long time.  
We also encourage you to inform the University’s Disability Team as early as possible if you have a personal care plan or are applying for personal care funding. This will allow us to assess the university environments you will be using to ensure your personal care support needs are met. 

International students: 
The University cannot provide any funding to cover the cost of personal care support. If you are an international student and are likely to require personal care assistance, you will need to ensure well in advance of arrival that you have sufficient funding to cover the cost of personal care. 
Whilst responsibility for arranging personal care support rests with individual students, please do not hesitate to contact the University’s Disability Team and we can provide you with further advice and guidance on how you may go about doing this. 

Read more Read less

Health and Safety

Safety and Evacuation

The health and safety of our students is our primary focus at all times. In case of an emergency, you should familiarise yourself with the emergency exit routes from the various buildings and rooms which you occupy in the course of your studies. These are clearly displayed in each room.

For some students due to their disability, they may need assistance when leaving a building on campus. If this is the case for you, your Disability Officer will discuss a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) with you. Staff from our Fire Safety team will coordinate the PEEP.  

Wellbeing Support

Student Wellbeing

Disability and Wellbeing Services provides holistic support for you when you are part of our student community. Our Drop-In and Counselling services provide ongoing support to students. We are here to listen in a non–judgemental way and help you, as well as let you know about other support services we provide.  We offer a range of services for all students at Queen’s: 

Services and Events are easy to find on our web site and social media. Follow us to see events such as W.O.W (Wellbeing on Weekdays) Events, Yoga sessions and other advice sessions.

Read more Read less

Assistive Technology

Assistive Technology

The use of assistive technology may be the most effective means of communication for some students with disabilities.  Assistive technology can support a range of learning styles, abilities and difficulties, and enables students to meet study requirements. 

More information on Assistive Technology will be published here shortly once it has been finalised. 

Supporting Academic Challenges

Support Register

Queen’s Register of Support Providers is based in Disability Services and manages the recruitment and training of one-to-one Support Providers, for example, Note Takers, Tutors and Campus Assistants. 

The Register is responsible for matching students with suitably qualified and experienced Support Providers to assist with specific academic challenges. This support is usually funded by Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) for students in the UK.   

Support Register Website 

Develop your Academic Ability

The Learning Development Service

The Learning Development Service (LDS) provides academic support to undergraduate students via three platforms: one-to-one appointments, online resources, and workshops. One-to-one appointments focus on enhancing a student’s academic skills and will be directed according to the student’s requirements.

For generic enquiries they have a large library of online resources for essay planning, time management, referencing and plagiarism, critical reading and writing, and exam preparation among many other topics.

Learning Development Service website