Skip to Content

Music and Drama Therapy

Use Your Talents

Music and drama therapists use their talent creatively to help their clients address social, emotional or physical difficulties.

What qualifications do I need?

Professional registration is dependent on successfully completion of a postgraduate qualification approved by the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC). 

Other requirements include evidence of sustained interest and engagement in music and/or drama and significant relevant work experience, paid or voluntary, with children or adults in a caring role.

Where can I find work?

Many music therapists and drama therapists work freelance or are self-employed. Their clients may come from a range of backgrounds, seeking different types of therapeutic support for specific or general issues.

Work can be found with prisons and probation services, psychiatric hospitals and day centres, services for adults and children with learning and emotional difficulties.