Computer labs, managed by Information Services, provide access to over 1300 PCs and audio-visual facilities for both teaching purposes and learning (Student Computing Areas and Group Study Rooms). The computer labs, their facilities and locations are listed below. Labs for teaching are usually booked by Schools through their Timetabling Officers. Direct booking is through the University's Central Timetabling and Room Booking System (via Queen's Online then select the Timetabling and Room Booking link). For information on the use of interactive technology for teaching and lecture recording services, check out the Interactive Leacture Theatre information on the Audio Visual pages and Lecture Recording services.
Each year Information Services reviews the list of applications on the common student desktop and seeks the cooperation of Schools in this exercise. The image for the subsequent academic year is built in early July. Teaching colleagues need to be aware of the protocol:
- Requests for software inclusion must be received by 6th May 2022 (and signed off by your Director of Education) - Request form (1-page Word document).
- Installation is subject to the licence being available and paid for.
- Installation requires testing and frequently the involvement of the requesting member of staff over the summer period.
List of Centrally bookable Computer Labs (plus list of student computer areas) - Precise numbers in each teaching room can be obtained through the Room Bookings Service (QOL)
Peter Froggatt Centre (Quadrangle) offers:
- Two IT teaching labs - 03/028 and 03/030
- Flexible teaching space with technologies such as wireless tablet PCs and PRS
- Video Conferencing facilities available. Email email@example.com
Medical Biology Centre (Lisburn Road) offers:
Student computing area: 01.021 (Main Tower First Floor)
IT teaching labs (which are for student use outside of teaching time)
- Teaching Room 1, Anatomy Wing, ground floor
- Main Tower First Floor
- Teaching Room 01/023 | Teaching Room 01/024 | Teaching Room 01/026
- North East Wing
- Teaching Room 04/404A | Teaching Room 0G/414
The McClay Library offers:
- Student Computing Areas throughout, with printing and photocopying facilities
- Group study areas each with PC and Plasma
- IT teaching and Language lab
Medical Library RVH (Mulhouse Building) offers:
- Student Computing Areas with printing, photocopying facilities
- Large and small IT teaching labs with data projection facilites